Confirmation at St. Stephen Lutheran Church
More information (confirmation handbook, class schedule, and acolyte schedule will be forthcoming and available on the website).
... because every teenager needs their picture on a church wall somewhere.
Important Dates & Times:
-Parent Orientation - Wednesday, August 31st at 7:00 pm.
(at least one parent is asked to attend. Confirmation students are not asked to attend)
- Huddle Guide meeting is on Wednesday, September 7th at 7:oo pm.
- Confirmation class begins on Wednesday, September 14th at 5:30 pm.
Frequently Asked Questions about Confirmation:
So we’re new to this whole confirmation thing. What does it mean?
Confirmation is actually a process for affirming one’s baptism. We actually affirm our baptism every time we say “we believe.” That’s how common confirmation is – it happens all of the time. At St. Stephen Lutheran Church, our more extensive confirmation process typically starts in the 6th grade. This year we study the Old Testament. The other two years we study the New Testament and Martin Luther’s Small Catechism.
What is the curriculum?
Pastor Lyle writes his own curriculum. He's an overly-picky fussbudget and finds fault with most every curriculum ever written. He regularly communicates what the class studied with parents, usually in the form of email.
Ummm… so my child is a 7th or 8th grader. Is it too late?
No. We’d love to have him or her. We’ll figure out something remedial.
So my kid was baptized. I’m afraid that if my child isn’t confirmed, he or she is on a one-way ticket to hell!
Oh no! They are surely on their way to Hell! Ha! Just kidding! Our loving God doesn’t actually work that way. Baptism creates faith. That’s what it does (we even learn that in confirmation classes). So why confirmation then? Well, because it is good to learn about good ol' JC, the church, and well, to grow. Also, rites of passages and celebrations in worship are great things. Everybody really needs to be in a group picture of teenagers enshrined on a church wall somewhere.
So we were kind of new to that whole parenting thing, and didn’t get junior baptized. So, what do we do?
Simple! Put him in our confirmation so they can learn and grow. We’ll get him baptized along the way somewhere.
I want my offspring in confirmation at St. Stephen, but I’m not a member of St. Stephen Lutheran Church?! Oh no!!!! What do I do?
This is not a problem. We’re more interested in teaching and relationship than glomming on to people and making them members. We want you to be connected somewhere. If you want your child in St. Stephen Confirmation, and you belong to another congregation and feel called to stay at your congregation… stay there! You should probably tell them your young person is going through confirmation with us. If you’re not a member anywhere, well, that’s still no problem. We’re just glad we get to know you.
What do the classes look like?
We meet from 5:30 to 7:00 pm on Wednesdays. There’s usually a meal at 5:30. We usually have instruction 2-3 times per month, and 1-2 times per month there are either service or fellowship events.
Are there any changes are from last year?
Yes. There are a few changes.
• There are no sermon notes required this year (it is our hope that families come to worship out of a desire or want, rather than a requirement).
• Both servant events and fellowship events are happening once per month.
• There is a new component during the school year called "Invite Pastor Lyle over to visit with my family." (FYI - in fall, winter, & early spring
Pastor Lyle likes coffee).
• There is a new component during the summer called "Everybody hangout with PL."
• Class times will call for a little more work (but still relaxed). There will be some required homework and memorization.
• Confirmation Sunday will be the first Sunday in May, and no longer in the fall.
• Parents will be preparing some of the meals. They will be given a certain amount to spend and turn in receipts to the church for
reimbursement. Parents will also be needed to clean up after meals.
• There will be no longer be a confirmation project required. In the summer after 8th graders are confirmed in May, if they feel so moved and
called, they might participate in a class or individual gift to the church or community.
Is there a cost?
Yes. The cost is not yet set. It will likely be in the same range as last year ($125 if your student is going to be eating meals, $25 if your student will not be eating). If cost would be prohibitive, let the office know as we will not turn someone down for the inability to pay. Specific payment & rate information will be forthcoming.
Copyright 2013. St Stephen Lutheran Church. All Rights Reserved.